• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rebuilt title car value

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adamsmithfan

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I bought a car with a rebuilt title. The car was in excellent condition with no problems. I was hit by another driver, their fault. The other driver's insurance company is only offering me half the normal value of the car because it has a rebuilt title. Is this right?

Lynx 36

Yep. B/c the car was totalled before, the value of it is not worth the same as a car that wasn't. Rebuilt cars are put together very cheaply w/ the cheapest parts that can be found. Airbags are re-packed etc. (which is against dealer recommendations.) You may think you have a nice car but underneath it is an accident waiting to happen.

It was totalled out before b/c the cost to repair it CORRECTLY was more than the car was worth. Do you honestly think these people, when putting this car back together, are going to follow manufacturers recommendations? NO, b/c it would cost them more to fix it than what they would sell it for. So what they do is cut corners and find cheap parts so they can make money on it.

NEVER, EVER, EVER buy a car w/ a re-built salvage title. You are taking your life in your hands. They may look nice on the outside but are junk underneath.

You Are Guilty

Lynx 36 said:
Yep. B/c the car was totalled before, the value of it is not worth the same as a car that wasn't. Rebuilt cars are put together very cheaply w/ the cheapest parts that can be found. Airbags are re-packed etc. (which is against dealer recommendations.) You may think you have a nice car but underneath it is an accident waiting to happen.

It was totalled out before b/c the cost to repair it CORRECTLY was more than the car was worth. Do you honestly think these people, when putting this car back together, are going to follow manufacturers recommendations? NO, b/c it would cost them more to fix it than what they would sell it for. So what they do is cut corners and find cheap parts so they can make money on it.

NEVER, EVER, EVER buy a car w/ a re-built salvage title. You are taking your life in your hands. They may look nice on the outside but are junk underneath.
I beg to differ a bit on this one. Often times, in older cars, given the cost of replacement parts, it isn't economically feasible to repair, say, a 1993 Ford when it has a value of a few thousand bucks and the cost of a new windshield alone is $400. However, that doesn't mean that they can't be repaired properly, although obviously, some are.

I see this the most with "hobbyist" cars, (i.e. Mustangs, Camaros, etc) where the used part market is huge and cheap and there are a significant number of people willing to fix "salvage" cars just to keep them around.

When if comes to relatively new cars though, I couldn't agree more :)

Lynx 36

Quote: "I beg to differ a bit on this one. Often times, in older cars, given the cost of replacement parts, it isn't economically feasible to repair, say, a 1993 Ford when it has a value of a few thousand bucks and the cost of a new windshield alone is $400. However, that doesn't mean that they can't be repaired properly, although obviously, some are.

I see this the most with "hobbyist" cars, (i.e. Mustangs, Camaros, etc) where the used part market is huge and cheap and there are a significant number of people willing to fix "salvage" cars just to keep them around.

When if comes to relatively new cars though, I couldn't agree more"

I agree, classic cars are the exception. It's not necessarily the parts on a car, it's the labor to do the work. If a shop is willing to eat the labor to try and make a buck it can be done. Although parts on classic cars aren't very cheap anymore either b/c of demand.

jcook7066

getting back to the question, the answer is What did you pay for the car ? If you paid a fraction of the normal value, you should only be paid a fraction of the value. If you can proove you paid full value, you might have an argument, but it is not likely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">