• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received first settlement offer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Both insurance companies were through American Family. We were not at fault at all, the other person was 100%. This occured in 2002. We tried to get them to forward a settlement over for some time as we were not out to "clean them up" but just to get what we thought was a fair share. After countless letters and calls by our attorney we had to file with a pre-trial conference. It was only after that hearing did the other attorney send back their first offer. It was an insult, to say the least.

Their attorney says it was just soft tissue damage done. And b/c we went to a Chiropractor that that fact "devalues the case somewhat". Well, I would rather go to a Chiropractor the rest of my life to readjust my neck to avoid going under a knife. I was hurt the most. I had just had a total hysterectomy 4 weeks prior and was having severe abdominal pain from the seat belt so they rushed me to the hospital b/c they felt I might have internal injuries (knocked something out of whack in there) but it turned out okay. I had to start the healing process over again as it did cause some internal bleeding but it stopped on it's own. But I went though an abdominal MRI (I think it was an MRI)... Back on my neck, the impact through 2 of my vertabraes forward. My neck was basically straight and could not look down or up/back. My ROM (range of motion) sucked. I still do not have full range of motion and some days are worse than others. I still see the chiro a few times a year. I never had headaches and now I get them often. But as long as I go in to be adjusted I am okay. And, the thing that hurts the most is taht I can't ride my horse like I used to w/o it throwing my neck out again and making another trip to the Chiro. But, I did it b/c I LOVE to ride.

Their offer would NOT cover the medical bills incurred. We were told that their first offer would not be what we feel we are entitled to and we were told that it was be small but I NEVER guessed it would be this low!

Is this normal for them to offer less than what medical bills were? Is this a typical first offer?

JETX

elizabeth99 said:
Is this normal for them to offer less than what medical bills were? Is this a typical first offer?
There are simply too many variables in any claim to determine what is 'typical'. Either accept or refuse their offer.

Thanks...

okay, we knew that. Obviously we will refuse their offer. I knew it would be a lot of exchanges to get to where we would like but it is finally a start, huh?

Thanks again

JETX

Buckley said:
bump------------
And why the hell do you feel compelled to 'bump' someone ELSE's post???
And only FOURTEEN minutes after the OP posted?? What a nitwit!!

Y

ylen13

JETX said:
bump, because i can

Shay-Pari'e

JETX said:
I think he is retarded JETX.....Everyone of his post's are a "Bump".

JETX

--PARIDISE-- said:
I think he is retarded JETX.....Everyone of his post's are a "Bump".
Yep. He must have been conceived in the backseat of an old junker when it went over a speed bump. :D
Heck, a few more crap posts from him..... and he might just get to find out what 'bumped' means...... when he is BUMPED from the forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">