• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JaYsin21

What is the name of your state? Virgina

this is my first time posting so if its in the wrong section i apologize i just needed some advice.

Okay everyone makes mistakes; I seem to have made a huge one. I got a speeding ticket in Hanover Virginia which is about thirty minutes north of Richmond. I was busted for going 84 in a 65 yes yes yes I know im stupid. I’m not trying to get out of the ticket I would like to pay the fine as I did do wrong. The problem is that a reckless driving:

Reckless driving is a Class 1 misdemeanor - in the same classification as a DWI charge.

I tried to pay the fine but they said I couldn’t because anything over 80 was reckless driving and I have to go to court, so now im freaking out since I thought I could pay the fine (yes did I mention im a moron sometimes?) And the court date is this Friday!

Now im freaking out because they take reckless driving here is serious. Can I call the courts tomorrow and ask for an extension on my court case to get the proper lawyer? If they say no can I go to the judge and ask for an extension?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Your court appearance is what is called a "Preliminary Hearing" - - that is, it's the time to plead either guilty, or not guilty. If you plead not guilty, the judge will set a trial date for sometime in the not-too-distant future. Then, you'll pay your bail, and you'll have plenty of time to obtain the counsel of an attorney - - who, if you hire that attorney, will appear with you on your "Trial date".

So, go to the hearing.

And, STOP freaking. No one is going to sentence you to death, for Christ's sake! It's just a hearing!

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">