• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Neighbors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ellisej

What is the name of your state? Ohio

About 2 weeks ago, my neighbors, who are under 18, had a party. My 2 roommates, our neighbors, and myself share a parking lot. The morning after the party I woke up to find the side of my car had been badly scrapped. My neighbor said it was one of their friends and that she would do her best to try and get the name and license # of the person who had hit my car and left without saying anything. She never did. Are me neighbors responsible for the damages done to my car? What is the likely hood that in small claims court I will win?

Last edited:

BoredAtty

Your neighbors are not liable merely because they had a party and a guest smashed your car. For your neighbors to be liable, you would need to prove that they were negligent in some fashion.

Have you notified the police? You may want to do that, and tell them that your neighbors have already admitted to knowing who the culprits are, but have not given the information to you.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Ohio

About 2 weeks ago, my neighbors, who are under 18, had a party. My 2 roommates, our neighbors, and myself share a parking lot. The morning after the party I woke up to find the side of my car had been badly scrapped. My neighbor said it was one of their friends and that she would do her best to try and get the name and license # of the person who had hit my car and left without saying anything. She never did. If I file a hit and run my insurance premium will go up. Are me neighbors responsible for the damages done to my car? What is the likely hood that in small claims court I will win?
Your insurance will not increase for filing a claim on a vehicle that was hit while it was parked. Where people get this stuff I will never know.

ellisej

The police told me that my premium would go up the first time I tried to file a hit & run. But thanks.

tammy8

Anytime you file any type of claim, your insurance MIGHT go up depending on how many prior claims and what type of discounts you are receiving. Call your insurance company and ask.

moburkes

Anytime you file any type of claim, your insurance MIGHT go up depending on how many prior claims and what type of discounts you are receiving. Call your insurance company and ask.
Disagree, Tammy. Yes, you might lose discounts, but you won't get surcharged. Maybe I'm not disagreeing, but, just being more specific.

ecmst12

Basically it won't be counted as an "at-fault accident" on your insurance company's record. Your premium might increase some(it can increase for LOTS of reasons) but it's not the same as if you CAUSED an accident and your rates are going to go up by 40% for 3 years (that's the charge in PA, just an example).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">