• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recording my phone call

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alyciann

What is the name of your state? Indiana

last night my long distance carrier called me to collect 5.75 that is overdue (due to an oversight on my part).
i was recorded without my concent. how do i know? i heard them doing it. then the the one who called me admitted it was happening.
is it legal for them to record me with out my concent?

J

JazzboneCS

Usually companies can record you to "serve you better." Basically, they can use anything you say oon it against you is what my belief is.

Indiana is a one "party" state, meaning that only one party has to know the conversation is being recorded to be legal. Check out

http://www.crimetime.com/phonecallssample.htm

OR

http://www.spyman.com/laws.htm

Both of these list Indiana as a one "party" state. You knew you were being recorded. You didnt have to talk. Hang up next time.

racer72

Also, the phone conversation was not for the purposes of collecting information that could be used in criminal court. And the recorded conversation would not be required to prove if the debt was valid in civil court. You have no claim against anyone.

mandy7181

where i work at--as soon as you call our number there is a message that all calls may be monitered for quality and training purposes. I beleive that is all a business has to do in order to record a call. However if i was to make a personal phone call to someone, i have to tell them before i start recording that i am doing so and obtain their consent. So the phone company had all right to record the conversation as long as there is a message that the calls may be monitered. They do not have to have your personal permision to do so

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">