• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

refund was there mistake

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sascrip

What is the name of your state? Arizona
Last year I received a $544 refund from my auto insurance policy. I didn't understand the refund so I called my agent and asked her about it saying I thought it was a mistake. She called corporate office and asked them about it and they told her the refund was mine and I could cash it. This was right before christmas so I cashed it and bought some gifts. In February I got a letter from my insurance co saying they were canceling my policy unless I repaid the $544. What is the best way to deal with this situation. My agent is on my side because she called to verify the refund was correct?

justalayman

What was the refund for and why was there a change of mind?

btw; if the agent believes you are correct with not exception because you called first, let the agent pay the money back to reinstate your insurance.

moburkes

What was the refund for and why was there a change of mind?

btw; if the agent believes you are correct with not exception because you called first, let the agent pay the money back to reinstate your insurance.
Which the agent cannot possibly do, as it would be illegal. You'll need to pay it back before it goes to collections. Unfortunately, the insurance company is allowed to make mistakes, AND get their mistake corrected.

justalayman

Which the agent cannot possibly do, as it would be illegal. You'll need to pay it back before it goes to collections. Unfortunately, the insurance company is allowed to make mistakes, AND get their mistake corrected.
I was being facetious. I could not imagine an agent saying to a client," sure, let me pay that for you. After all, it was my mistake" right before saying under his breath "like hell I'll pay it. It was his misunderstanding, not mine. If he wants insurance, he's gonna pay for it. How else am I going to afford that Cancun vacation this month.Last months trip to the Bahamas just about ran me dry"

Mistakes happen. You are not entitled to be unjustly enriched because of them. If it is a legit claim on the part of the insurance company, pay it. If it isn;t find out what is happening and take steps to correct the problem.

moburkes

I was being facetious. I could not imagine an agent saying to a client," sure, let me pay that for you. After all, it was my mistake" right before saying under his breath "like hell I'll pay it. It was his misunderstanding, not mine. If he wants insurance, he's gonna pay for it. How else am I going to afford that Cancun vacation this month.Last months trip to the Bahamas just about ran me dry"

Mistakes happen. You are not entitled to be unjustly enriched because of them. If it is a legit claim on the part of the insurance company, pay it. If it isn;t find out what is happening and take steps to correct the problem.
I understood it. I was clarifying for the OP.

sascrip

I found a better rate else hwere anyway. I couldn't afford to pay them back the money they said was mine to begin with so I got insurance else wyhere.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I found a better rate else hwere anyway. I couldn't afford to pay them back the money they said was mine to begin with so I got insurance else wyhere.
Nice - and soon you'll be posting in the Debt Collection forum asking if they're allowed to send this to a collection agency :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">