• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refusal to Cover Car Rental

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

yvettec777

What is the name of your state? Rhode Island
I was involved a rear end collision that was not my fault. The other person hit me as I was stopped in traffic. I asked the police officer at the scene if I could get the other driver's information and was told that I needed to fill out a request form at the police station the next day and the report would be mailed to me. I did so and rented a car that same day as my car was not driveable and at the auto shop. When two days went by and I still had not received the report, I stopped by the police station. I did this several more times and could get no information from them. I finally recieved the report 9 days after the accident. I called the claim in to the other driver's insurance company on the day I received the report. They agree the accident is their insured's fault. The insurance company refuses to pay for the car rental prior to the day I filed the claim. Apparently their insured did not report the accident to them. They said that it was my responsibility to get the information at the scene and contact them that day. I don't believe I should have to pay for the car rental at all because the accident was not my fault. Do I have any recourse?

stephenk

have they paid you for everything related to the accident except for the car rental? If yes, did you sign any release from them?
If no, then you can sue the other driver in small claims court for the car rental expense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">