• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Regarding Father Driving My Uninsured Vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ThePackGB

What is the name of your state? VA

My father recently had to file for bankruptcy which resulted in the reposession of his 2000 Nissan Frontier. After which, he asked me if he could use my uninsured vehicle which had been sitting in the driveway for months (obviously i'm not going to drive an uninsured vehicle). I was reluctant to allow him to do so, but he has to get to work and apparently this was his only option. I am afraid if anything happens while he is driving it then I will be held responsible. Conversely, I don't want to take my car away from my father (the title is in my name) and disallow him to get to work. I am currently a college student with no need for the vehicle at this time. He claims he will be getting his truck back soon. I figured the punishment he gets for being a loser is driving his son's (my) vehicle which was paid for by his ex-wife's mother. In my opinion, a blow to his manhood would set him straight, however it might come at the risk of me as well.

He makes 72,000 a year and can't manage bills and can't pay for my school (I pay for my own school). However, he is my father and I am having a hard time expressing the way I feel about the situation.

How much trouble would I get in if he was caught driving it, or if he were to get in an accident while driving it?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

S

seniorjudge

"...How much trouble would I get in if he was caught driving it, or if he were to get in an accident while driving it?..."
You can get into more trouble than you will know how to handle. Not only is what he is doing probably criminal, if he hit someone and it was his fault, they will come after everybody, including you.

You want to be paying off his judgment the rest of your life?

Either take the keys away from him or buy insurance.

Sounds like you are the adult in this household; tell dad to grow up.

JReyes

If you want to know how bad it is, read the other posts on this board and you will see. :mad:

If he thinks bankruptcy is bad, wait till he hits something. Driving a car is one of the most dangerous things you can do next to owning a gun; and not having any insurance on it is like having an armed nuclear weapon waiting to explode.

teflon_jones

As others have said, this is a BAD idea. You could get into more trouble than you even want to think about by doing this! Either take the truck back or else make him get insurance for it. Period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">