• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Removing cosigner from title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

STL_Beth

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

When I was guardian over my mother and she bought a car, I was forced to put my name on the car as well. I am no longer her guardian, but the car title was never changed.

Recently, she is having severe financial difficulties and may not be able to pay her car insurance. I'm afraid that if she doesn't pay and gets into an accident, I may be liable since I'm on the car title as well.

When I asked the DMV in MO, they said she has to sign the title as purchases and me as seller with no selling price and then she can obtain a new title with just her name on it. I do not want any money, I just want my name off the title of the car. However, she refuses. There is no car loan involved, the car is completely paid off.

Is there any legal actions I can take to force her to release me from the title?? Remember, I don't want any money, I just don't want the liability if something happens.

P.S. The car title is currently in my possession, but the car has always been in her possession. TIA.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

When I was guardian over my mother and she bought a car, I was forced to put my name on the car as well. I am no longer her guardian, but the car title was never changed.

Recently, she is having severe financial difficulties and may not be able to pay her car insurance. I'm afraid that if she doesn't pay and gets into an accident, I may be liable since I'm on the car title as well.

When I asked the DMV in MO, they said she has to sign the title as purchases and me as seller with no selling price and then she can obtain a new title with just her name on it. I do not want any money, I just want my name off the title of the car. However, she refuses. There is no car loan involved, the car is completely paid off.

Is there any legal actions I can take to force her to release me from the title?? Remember, I don't want any money, I just don't want the liability if something happens.

P.S. The car title is currently in my possession, but the car has always been in her possession. TIA.
How, EXACTLY, is the title worded?

STL_Beth

That's what I was afraid of. Just to confirm...there is no legal action I can take against her to force her to sign the title as purchaser? Even if she is the one who possesses the car?

Is there anyway I can take possession of the car since my name is on the title? If I can possess the car, then she can't drive it to make me liable for an accident. Any other suggestions?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That's what I was afraid of. Just to confirm...there is no legal action I can take against her to force her to sign the title as purchaser? Even if she is the one who possesses the car?

Is there anyway I can take possession of the car since my name is on the title? If I can possess the car, then she can't drive it to make me liable for an accident. Any other suggestions?
It's just as much your car...go get it.
In fact, that also might encourage mom to sign the paperwork...

Just to confirm...there is no legal action I can take against her to force her to sign the title as purchaser?
It may be a little costly, but you can sue your mother for a partition. The judge would ask one party to buy out the other, or he'd order that the car be sold, with you two splitting the proceeds. Initiating the lawsuit may entice mom to just agree to the transfer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">