• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rental car accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hairball

What is the name of your state? Guam
A while back my wife was driving her friends rental car alone and got into an accident. The accident was her fault, and the car is totalled. The people that rented the car did not have insurance. Does my wife have any liability for paying them?

H

hairball

Since she never signed an agreement with the rental company, how do they have the right to come after her?

djohnson

Loads of reasons. She damaged the rental car company's property being the number one reason. Was she authorized to drive it or can they say she stole it? You are looking at more problems trying to fight a no win battle. She done the damage and should pay. I don't know what kind of insurance you have but you might check into it. I know mine will cover me no matter who's car I am driving. Yours might, I don't know.

enjay

Wouldn't the actual renter have some liability here as well? When you rent a car you are told that you are the only person authorized to drive it.

That said, if I totalled my friend's car, be it a rental car or her own, I'd foot the bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">