• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental car accident claim denied by credit card rental insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michl43

State: California

I rented a car on 12/27/04 morning, used a Visa card, and accepted the rental company insurance on the contract. That evening, I returned to rental car company and stated that I changed my mind and wanted to decline the rental car insurance, and wished to use my Mastercard. They inspected the vehicle and no damage was found. I then resigned on the contract declining the rental company insurance dated 12/27 p.m. They did an authorization on my Mastercard at that time. I returned the car on Fri 12/31 a.m., and they found a dent/scratch under the passenger door. I personally don't know how it got there and I am the only one that drove the car. It could have been caused by another vehicle, or possibly I ran into a curb and didn't know it. The bill from the rental company for the damage was about 650.00. I called the Master card company for the card that was used, and they denied my claim because I used a Visa on the first day morning to secure the car. I wrote them a letter and attached all information such as the contract (open & closed contracts), etc. They still will deny it because the first day I put it on a Visa (which was charged 250. and then credited 250. the same day). It doesn't make sense to me why they are still denying it, and it doesn't seem fair. Can anyone shed some light onto this for me? I paid for the whole repair to the rental car place already, but want to get reimbursed by deductible from the Master card renters insurance program. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks! Michelle

S

seniorjudge

If you did not have insurance on the car, then you are responsible.

I think I missed something in your story.

Are you saying MasterCard had insurance on the car?

michl43

Many credit cards have rental car ins. (up to deductible) if you use their card. They are denying my claim because I used another card only on the first day, even though that card was not charged. It is a confusing situation, but I felt they should have approved it. Maybe I should seek legal services...

Lynx 36

michl43 said:
Many credit cards have rental car ins. (up to deductible) if you use their card. They are denying my claim because I used another card only on the first day, even though that card was not charged. It is a confusing situation, but I felt they should have approved it. Maybe I should seek legal services...
Show them proof that the card wasn't charged and they may accept it. Seeking legal services would be a complete waste of time. An atty will do you no good here. You would have trouble even find one to take the case. The atty fees would cost more than it would to pay the $650 to fix the car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">