• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rental car accident - unauthorized driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sasnmax

What is the name of your state? TX (accident in GA)

I need to know how insurance will apply in following circumstance:

A parent rents a vehicle for the weekend in another state and an accompanying adult child (over 21 but under 25) is not listed as an authorized driver (no intention of the child driving). The child is independently insured; most, but not all, of the child's documents list the child's address as the parent's address. The rental company insurance is declined.

The child drives the rental car,less than a mile, with the parent's permission (due to unexpected illness) and has an accident with another vehicle. The child is assumed to be at fault but is not given an citation by the police. A police report is completed at the scene.

Rental car company is informed of the accident, as is the child's insurance company. The child's insurance company is requesting a copy of the rental agreement.
  1. Does the parent need to inform their insurance company also?
  2. Is the parent liable for the rental vehicle damage, or is it the child's insurance responsibility?
  3. Is it likely that the child's insurance company would deny coverage for the damage to either vehicles if the rental agreement does not show the child as an authorized driver?
    Is the parent's insurance company (or credit card) liable to deny coverage for the same reason?
  4. If the child's address is the same as the parent's, does that affect whether the parent's insurance will cover the damage?
  5. Is it possible that the rental company may do a revision to the agreement so that the damage to their vehicle is taken care of?
  6. What is the best course of action at this point?

Both are willing to face the consequences for a bad decision (made necessary at the time), but just need to know how to minimize the damage.

Thank you!

Last edited:

S

Sasnmax

Time is getting short

I really need to know the best course of action on this one. Should I just call a rental company (other than the one used) to find out the scoop? Should I call an insurance company (other than those involved) to find out their angle?

That's essentially where I'm at right now. Am I on the right course? Has anyone been unlucky enough to get caught in this situation before?

S

Sasnmax

Never mind

The parent has contacted the rental company as well as the adult child's insurance company and it seems as if it will all be taken care of. No worries. Politeness and kindness go a long way. Best advice to be given to anyone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">