• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rental car "damage"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drwriter

What is the name of your state? Alaska.

I rented a car in Alaska and chose not to receive the rental car company's insurance. I returned the car and returned it to a young clerk. She examined the car and said she might have found a little damage but she didn't think it would be a problem. She did not show me the damage. She said if there was a problem the manager would notify me before any charges were made. She also said that if there indeed was damage (she couldn't tell) that it wouldn't exceed $60. A few weeks later I receive a $400 charge on my credit card from the rental company. I called them and they told me they found windshield damage on the car and were charging me for it. I was not aware of ANY windshield damage that took place while I had the car. However, I did decline their insurance. What is to keep them from just making the damage up and charging me? I have requesting pictures of the damage but have not yet received anything. What is my legal standing? Thanks!

JETX

"What is to keep them from just making the damage up and charging me?"
*** The little condition report that they gave you when you returned the car. You did get one, didn't you??? Or at least a release on the reciept??

"I have requesting pictures of the damage but have not yet received anything. What is my legal standing? "
*** Your legal 'standing' is that you can deny the claim by the agency. You can also dispute the charge on your credit card (as allowed by the FCBA - Fair Credit Billing Act). And if those don't work, you can file a claim against the rental car company in small claims court.

Thanks!"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">