• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental car insurance for 3rd party?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Macala

What is the name of your state? AL

My daughter in Maine wants me to rent her a car (with my credit card) so she can come and visit me in Alabama.

She is not a member of my household and, as such, not on my own automobile insurance policy. I'm not sure to what extend my credit card company would cover her.

My question: Should I purchase rental car insurance?

teflon_jones

Your daughter will probably need to pay for the car with her own credit card. Most rental car companies won't rent a vehicle without a credit card.

How old is your daughter? Why can't she fly or take a bus or train?

MandyD

Yes, absolutely buy their insurance and make certain that you have your daughter listed as the driver. If she's under 25, expect that insurance to be pretty expensive, but it's worth it.

Who's Liable?

Most car rental insurance companies will NOT rent a car to a person who is under 25 years old, NOR will they allow a person under 25 to be a listed driver...

It is your best interest to find a compnay that will allow your daughter to be added as an authorized driver and get the rental car insurance.

All this will add about 20-30 dollars to the bill per day, but it will protect you should your daughther get in an accident...

If you do NOT add her as an authorized driver and she wrecks the car, NO MATTER WHO IS AT FAULT, the rental car company WILL come after you for the full amount of the repairs to the vehicle and you will be forced to pay the deductible within 24 hrs of the accident...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">