• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental Car and Insurance Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kyersten

What is the name of your state? California

Back in mid July I was the passenger in a car that was hit. The accident was found to be the ladies fault. We were stopped and she rearended us doing about 50 Mph. We have been working with the insurance company to get this taken care of and paid off but they have been taking their sweet time with it so finally 2 months later they issue a check to cover just the remaining balance on the car that was totaled. We are now waiting on the car title for them to release the rest of the money. In the meantime they had been covering a rental car for us and we were told they would continue to cover this until we were fully paid off. Now all of a sudden they have changed their story and with NO notice have stopped paying on the rental car which forces us into a bad position because starting tomorrow we will be without transportation. Meaning my child can't get to school, and I won't be able to get to work unless I pay for the rental car out of my pocket which I can't afford because I still have to get a new car to replace the one this insurance companies client totaled. My question is are they allowed to do this? Are they no longer responsible since they made a quote to us? Or are they responsible until they have closed the case?

I am seriously thinking of getting a lawyer to deal with them because this company has caused more headaches then this is worth.
If anyone could give me some advice I would be greatful.

Thank you
Kyersten

stephenk

Do you own the car?

Why is it taking so long for you to provide proof of ownership of the vehicle?

Most carriers will only provide rental for a reasonable time. That being the time a property damage offer is made and accepted.

If there is a delay caused by you, the carrier is not going to pay for the rental indefinitely. There would be no incentive to you to finalize the property damage claim.

You have a duty to mitigate your damages. That means you have to work quickly to resolve your property damage claim either through your own insurance company or the other carrier. It shouldnt take 2 months for you to prove your ownership of the car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">