• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental coverage expired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Hoodood

NY The insurance policies in NY include coverage when you rent a car for 30 days or less with a 0 deductable. Car rental companies have a policy to rent for only a 30 day period and if over 30 days another agreement is drawn up. I had an accident with my rental car. I had originally rented the car on a weekly basis. I kept the car car for a 6 week period, During the first 2 weeks I was asked to come back to the rental office to start another weeks rental. All they did was run my credit card for another weeks deposit. After the second week they told me to just call in if I had planned on keeping the car for another week. Somewhere witin this time someone had hit the car on the passenger side while it was parked and it went unnoticed because I was the only one to be in the car and always approached the car from the drivers side not noticing there was damage. The first two weeks I had returned to the office the car was visually inspected for damage by their agent. When I returned the car it was during the inspection that damage was found. I filled out a form indicating the car was in an accident during the time I rented the car. The rental company had called me a few days later indicating there was no need to worry that my insurance company would cover the cost of the damage 100%. After another week the insurance company called telling me they couldn't cover the cost because I had rented the car for 6 weeks which is over the 30 day limit of the coverage. This meant that I was driving the car for 2 weeks without insurance which is illegal. With all the laws, rules and what have you concerning rentals and insurance one would have to take too much time locating and understanding all these regulatings so one depends on the rental company to make sure all is legal when renting a car seeing the car is actually owned by the rental company it is the rental companies responsibility to ensure the car is kept in a legal status at all times. It would only be in the interest of both parties for the rental company to notify the rentee that the insurance is not going to cover the car if this situation would arise. This makes me believe it is the rental company who is responsible for maimtaining insurance coverage on their vehicles at all times. Through the lack and neglegence of the rental agents writing up another 30 day agreement I am now responsible to pay for the damages. I am taking the rental company to small claims court using this neglegence making them the one who should have to pay for the damages because if this agent was competent I would have had another 30 day agreement written so the car would be covered. Even though I signed the agreement that states I am responsible for damages wouldn't the neglegence on the agents part null and void my responsibilities? I also have the original agreement that is not finalized. When I turned the car in all I sined was my credit card reciept but the original agreement does have my signature on it. What do you think? Thank you, the uninsured motorist, Hoodood.
PS This goes on with an estimate filled with fraud from the rental company. If you like you can read my next question. Thanks again, Hoodood.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">