• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

repair charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

riskyhj

I live in a rented apartment (in Alabama) with 2 other roommates, and all three of us are on the lease. We had another person living with us temporarily who was not on lease. While she was with us there was a fire in the kitchen which could have been accidently started by our guest. The management has charged us for the repair of damages.
Out of the 3 of us who had signed the lease, one was out of town at that time. Now the management has asked to divide the amount for the repair between the 2 who were at home then.
I know that as I was on the lease I am responsible for paying for the damages. Now the question is, am I and my other roommate who were at home then are legally responsible for paying for the total amount, even if we didn't start the fire or, are we 3 together responsible for the amount. Can we be penalized for just being home at an unfortunate time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">