• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repair or Sell AS-IS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lou00

What is the name of your state?VA

I was involved in an auto accident. I have since recieved a check for repairs from my insurance company minus my paid deductible. I have not had my vehicle repaired as of yet and an acquaintance would like to purchase my vehicle as is. Question : Must i have my car repaired regardless or can I use this check for repair as a down payment for another vehicle?

T

Trucking Mad

lou00 said:
What is the name of your state?VA

I was involved in an auto accident. I have since recieved a check for repairs from my insurance company minus my paid deductible. I have not had my vehicle repaired as of yet and an acquaintance would like to purchase my vehicle as is. Question : Must i have my car repaired regardless or can I use this check for repair as a down payment for another vehicle?
Technically the money is for the repair of the vehicle. If you have the opportunity to sell the vehicle as-is and you want to than thats what you should do. :cool:

justalayman

Actually unless there is a leinholder that would require the vehicle to be maintained in any specific condition, the money is yours to do with as you wish. The money is merely the amount it took to make the OP "whole". That is in the same condition as before the accident. To make it so the OP has as much monetary value as before the accident. Use it as you desire.

Who's Liable?

Trucking Mad said:
Technically the money is for the repair of the vehicle. If you have the opportunity to sell the vehicle as-is and you want to than thats what you should do. :cool:
technically you're wrong... The money is for the owner to decide as they see fit... There is NO law stating the money MUST be used for repairs...

The ONLY thnig tha would fall under a legal issue is if the seller withheld vital information from the new owner about the history of the car, such as: an accident...

It would be in the best interest of the owner to inform the new owner(IN WRITING WITH SIGNATURES FROM BOTH SIDES) that the car has been in an accident, and will besold as is...

T

Trucking Mad

Read Please

Who's Liable? said:
technically you're wrong... The money is for the owner to decide as they see fit... There is NO law stating the money MUST be used for repairs...

The ONLY thnig tha would fall under a legal issue is if the seller withheld vital information from the new owner about the history of the car, such as: an accident...

It would be in the best interest of the owner to inform the new owner(IN WRITING WITH SIGNATURES FROM BOTH SIDES) that the car has been in an accident, and will besold as is...
:cool: You really should put on your glasses so you could read exactly what my post says. Allow me to break it down for you!
1st-- I didn't state the op had or must do anything with the money they received. (TECHNICALLY) when the Ins. Co. issues an check for repairs for said vehicle, (TECHNICALLY) that is what the money is for!
2nd-- If the op (TECHNICALLY) has someone who wants to purchase the vehicle and they (TECHNICALLY) know that its been damaged, then (TECHNICALLY) they should sell it, if they were (TECHNICALLY) inclined to want to do that sort of thing. Are you able to (TECHNICALLY) follow along or am I (TECHNICALLY) going to far, cause (TECHNICALLY) I could keep going and really get TECHNICAL, (TECHNICALLY) I hope I (TECHNICALLY) haven't gone (TECHNICALLY) to overboard, I'm (TECHNICALLY) going to stop.
3rd--I pleased that I could (TECHNICALLY) clear things up for you!
4th--Have a (TECHNICALLY) nice day Ya'all!!!! :D
5th--Peace out! I (TECHNICALLY) mean that.

MandyD

You're still wrong Trucking Mad. "Technically", when the Ins. Co. issues A check, it's for DAMAGES, not repairs.

T

Trucking Mad

Technically-technical....technically

MandyD said:
You're still wrong Trucking Mad. "Technically", when the Ins. Co. issues A check, it's for DAMAGES, not repairs.
:rolleyes: "TECHNICALLY" at this point I "TECHNICALLY" don't care if you "TECHNICALLY" label it repairs or damages...You "TECHNICALLY" had the jist of what I was "TECHNICALLY" saying**************."TECHNICALLY" you have to "TECHNICALLY" have damages to "TECHNICALLY" need repairs....I hope "TECHNICALLY" we can "TECHNICALLY" drop this... :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">