• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Responsibility for Adult Child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tooldtocare

What is the name of your state? I live in Texas and carry my 19 and 20 year olds insurance. If they have an accident and the damages exceed what we carry in insurance am I responsible in a civil action?

Z

zappy

yes because you own the cars.......

so you know what to do next...RAISE your liablity to at least $500,000

Or give the kids the car.

T

tooldtocare

That being the case explain how carrying 500,000 in insurance is going to make a difference if the person has brain damage and is awarded 3,000,000. In addition in a civil action one must be found at fault at least by a perponderance so how can a person not even in the car be at fault. Even in a litigous state like Texas you'd be hard pressed to prove that the parties carrying the insurance were in any way resposible for another adults behavior. Ex. Your adult child lives in your home, eats your food, does not contribute to his own support but shoots someone. Are mom and dad then responsible for his behavior because they support him?:confused:

T

tooldtocare

Silly analogy. A better one would be if the knife a husband used to kill his ex-wife actually belonged to his mother, and he used it all the time, could the mother be found responsible for her death, just because it was made in the 1700th century, and was insured under her homeowners.:rolleyes:

Z

zappy

That being the case explain how carrying 500,000 in insurance is going to make a difference if the person has brain damage and is awarded 3,000,000.
=============

Then RAISE your insurance to a Million dollars or 2 or 3 what ever you feel comfortable with, the Insurance company will SELL YOU any amount you want.

Remember YOU own the cars, YOU ARE NEXT IN LINE and will be liable AFTER your sons insurance pays its maximum limit.

T

tooldtocare

Naaa. I think I'll just turn over title of the vehicles to the kids but continue to make the payments. Then I'll cut their insurances loose from mine and insure them in the states their attending college,(CHEAPER THAN TEXAS). I'll still make all the payments but theres no deep pockets to go after in the event of an accident. I won't put one extra penny onto the pockets of insurance companies, lawyers, or lazy,sue happy leaches

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">