• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Responsibility for Damages in a Stolen Car accident?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stanlin

My car was parked in San Francisco, CA, and was hit by a juvenile who was driving a stolen car.

Who should be reimbursing me for damages?

1. I would think to go after the thief. The only problem is that the juvenile probably has very little money.

The owner of the stolen car had an insurance policy, so I was hoping to get money from them, but they claim his policy was invalid.

2. If it was valid (and depending on the policy he had), is there a possibility that I could get it from the company?

3. If it wasn't valid, should I be pursuing the owner of the car?

Thoughts?

Many thanks,
Stan

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

stanlin said:
My car was parked in San Francisco, CA, and was hit by a juvenile who was driving a stolen car.

Who should be reimbursing me for damages?

1. I would think to go after the thief. The only problem is that the juvenile probably has very little money.

The owner of the stolen car had an insurance policy, so I was hoping to get money from them, but they claim his policy was invalid.

2. If it was valid (and depending on the policy he had), is there a possibility that I could get it from the company?

3. If it wasn't valid, should I be pursuing the owner of the car?

Thoughts?

Many thanks,
Stan

My response:

Where's your insurance, Stan? Did you have collision coverage and, uninsured motorist collision deductible waiver?

No, the owner of the vehicle is not liable to you - - IF the vehicle was, in fact, stolen.

IAAL

S

stanlin

Thanks for the reply. I only had liability without the few dollars for uninsured motorist coverage, which might have really saved me. How sad...

At the time of the crime, the minor may have been in custody of his parents or in custody of the juvenile courts. Should I then be pursuing the minor, or the parents/courts?

Many thanks,
Stan

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">