• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

responsible for damages while driving anothers vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chonodel

Calif.- My daughter drove another persons car at his request and had a minor accident. It was raining heavily at the time and although she did not want to drive his car he insisted. The reason for this was he wanted to see how his car looked on the road with her wider tires on it. He was driving her car at the same time next to her so he could see his vehicle. She spun out and recieved scratches on the front bumper(no body damage). We said we would pay for the bumper refinishing but now he says there is a hair line scratch on the drivers side window. He wants a brand new window which is outrageously priced and could easily be buffed out. He has an invoice stating he has had all this work done approx. $1100 but we think the window was buffed out. The problem is, he is personal friends with the ownwer of the body shop and we think the invoice is "bogus"

Are we responsible 100% or does he hold a certain amount of liability in that he asked her to drive the car for a reason? Can we dispute the charges and what we are willing to pay for if anything? HELP!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

chonodel said:
Calif.- My daughter drove another persons car at his request and had a minor accident. It was raining heavily at the time and although she did not want to drive his car he insisted. The reason for this was he wanted to see how his car looked on the road with her wider tires on it. He was driving her car at the same time next to her so he could see his vehicle. She spun out and recieved scratches on the front bumper(no body damage). We said we would pay for the bumper refinishing but now he says there is a hair line scratch on the drivers side window. He wants a brand new window which is outrageously priced and could easily be buffed out. He has an invoice stating he has had all this work done approx. $1100 but we think the window was buffed out. The problem is, he is personal friends with the ownwer of the body shop and we think the invoice is "bogus"

Are we responsible 100% or does he hold a certain amount of liability in that he asked her to drive the car for a reason? Can we dispute the charges and what we are willing to pay for if anything? HELP!!
My response:

Under the law, once you get behind the wheel of a car, you are responsible for all matters concerning the operation of that vehicle. As for the damages, while she is responsible, the question remains how much. I don't have an answer for you in that regard.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">