• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reverse rear ender from a rental....and hes a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hougy

What is the name of your state? Georgia

i recently got in a car wreck, no it was not my fault to me. what happened was we (me and my friend) were at a red light in my ranger behind an altima (at least 5 feet). the light turned green, we sit there for 2 secs going nowhere. i saw the reverse lights come on, as did my friend...we both asked each other what they were doing. then they backed into me before i could shift in reverse or honk (they hit the accelerator, very obvious...it was a flat road). Me and my friend got out as the other guys did...we were all ok. the driver then took a picture of the collision area 'without my permission' and asked us if we could back out since it was in the middle of the road. we did, my right bumper was dented in, minor fender damage from the bumper and the fog light broke in... they just had a minor dent and paint rubbed off.

We pull into a parking lot and called the police and our parents. i asked the driver why he went into reverse....he stated it was 'the cars fault'....he said it was in drive but it went reverse. Yea, that lost me, So i asked if it was a stick shift, he said it was an automatic. They then ask if we would rather go to a body shop and have it fixed and not report it at all...i said no, ill wait for the police. I noticed the car had a dealer tag on it, i asked and he said it was a rental but it was under his dads insurance....the kid said he was 17 . He also mentioned he came back from Nopi, and wasnt used to the car yet. since there was no witness we have to go to court.

Basically he was driving under the minimum age for a rental. It's under his dads insurance but his dad was not driving it...so it kinda figures that I wont owe them any money because of age and the insurance only covering the parent, who wasnt in the car.

smaller nutshell:
- whats this kid doing out of Drive at a red light in an automatic.
- He said it was the cars fault. (um, ok...)
- He went to NOPI (big, big national car show)...which from that highway was at least an hour away...so he had to of had at least 2 hours of driving that dang thing. But hey, as he said, he "isnt used to it"
- He took a picture of the accident without asking (I would have said no...heck it was my first accident, i didnt know what to do)

edit- my question is, can the kid have the insurance company on his side seeing that he is underage driving a rental that is not in his dads name

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

hougy said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

i recently got in a car wreck, no it was not my fault to me. what happened was we (me and my friend) were at a red light in my ranger behind an altima (at least 5 feet). the light turned green, we sit there for 2 secs going nowhere. i saw the reverse lights come on, as did my friend...we both asked each other what they were doing. then they backed into me before i could shift in reverse or honk (they hit the accelerator, very obvious...it was a flat road). Me and my friend got out as the other guys did...we were all ok. the driver then took a picture of the collision area 'without my permission' and asked us if we could back out since it was in the middle of the road. we did, my right bumper was dented in and the fog light broke in... they just had a minor dent and paint rubbed off.

We pull into a parking lot and called the police and our parents. i asked the driver why he went into reverse....he stated it was 'the cars fault'....he said it was in drive but it went reverse. Yea, that lost me, So i asked if it was a stick shift, he said it was an automatic. They then ask if we would rather go to a body shop and have it fixed and not report it at all...i said no, ill wait for the police. I noticed the car had a dealer tag on it, i asked and he said it was a rental but it was under his dads insurance....the kid said he was 17 . He also mentioned he came back from Nopi, and wasnt used to the car yet. since there was no witness we have to go to court.

Basically he was driving under the minimum age for a rental. It's under his dads insurance but his dad was not driving it...so it kinda figures that I wont owe them any money because of age and the insurance only covering the parent, who wasnt in the car.

smaller nutshell:
- whats this kid doing out of Drive at a red light in an automatic.
- He said it was the cars fault. (um, ok...)
- He went to NOPI (big, big national car show)...which from that highway was at least an hour away...so he had to of had at least 2 hours of driving that dang thing. But hey, as he said, he "isnt used to it"
- He took a picture of the accident without asking (I would have said no...heck it was my first accident, i didnt know what to do)

My response:

Thanks for that long, drawn out story. I have no idea why you wrote to us, but thanks for the story anyway.

As far as photos are concerned, he didn't need your "permission" to take the photos. Anyone can take photos of a car accident.

Since you had absolutely no questions, I'll just thank you again for writing.

IAAL

H

hougy

sorry i was still kinda in a bad mood while writing all that (explains the length)

my question is, can the kid have the insurance company, or the rental company on his side seeing that he is underage driving a rental that is covered by just his dads insurance?

H

hougy

um, anyone? i dont think he is able to sue saying that "i" ran into him since hes 17 and was in a rental.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">