• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right thing to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Springsman

STATE: COLORADO
a week ago my family and I were on a dirt road in my 4x4 jeep, we got the jeep stuck in a strange kind of way with the front wheels not touching the ground and the jeep was actually sitting on it's back bumper in a precarious way...a man and his family came around the corner in a newer suburban he got out and before I could even talk he said "got yourself stuck huh, don't worry I can pull you straight out" he manuvers his suburban sort of behind my jeep and gets out a tow chain...he and I are looking to see how to attach it and couldn't find a good spot to hook it to...I look over at him and tell him I'm going to shut off my jeep which was still running and get my family out. I went up to the front of the jeep and opened the door to get my wife and five year old out. the movement rocked the jeep and it began rolling back, I honestly can't say very clearly what happend next because my view was blocked, but in essence the jeep was rolling back toward the suburban and the guy was inbetween. I (think) he was trying to stop the jeep from hitting his suburban...I don't believe the jeep hit the suburban but it looked like the guy was going to get smashed inbetween..when I got around where I could see him he was out from between the vehicles and was in pain yelling "his knee was blown out"...I took this as he twisted it getting out of the way, he said he thought he needed to go to a doctor, I offered to call an ambulance on my cell phone but he declined...his wife and kids loaded him into his suburban and they drove off in one direction....my wife and I drove off in another...a few minutes later we actually saw them again in town and they stopped me and said they wanted my information in case his insurance decided to "burn him" I gave them my name address, DOB and drivers liscense number... and at that time the man appeared fine and even said that they were going to McDonalds next to get something to eat and go to the bathroom...being so shaken up I still did not think to get his information....we shook hands and they left again. a week later I get a letter in the mail from his insurance company saying they would like to hear my side of the story....I did not think my jeep even touched his suburban but I can't say why he would be claiming something other than maybe medical bill from his insurance...I feel bad because he stopped to help me then this happend but If I try to say I'll take responsibility for the accident I don't want him to take advantage of me and sue me...so my questions are...
1. What's the right thing to do??
2. Should I talk to his insurance company? or tell mine and have them call?
3. Given the details of the accident and without having a police report am I liable for anything? since he offered to help without me asking?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">