• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rock throwing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

marla price

Last month my son and several of his friends were playing in the alley. They were playing basketball and throwing walnuts and rocks at each other. All of the boys are between 10 - 14 years of age. While playing, another boy aged 8 came out of his yard and threw a handful of rocks at the boys in the alley. When this happened, one of the boys picked up one of the rocks and threw it back at the 8 year old. By this time, my son was behind the 8 year old. My son did not throw the rock that hit the boy. The child who did throw the rock later admitted that he did throw it. The 8 year old had to get two stitches along his eyebrow. I have now received a poorly written letter from the mother of the 8 year old, telling me that if I don't pay 1/4 of his hospital bill, she will sue me for his pain and suffering. The boy who admitted throwing the rock has already paid this woman $113.00. Two days after this incident occured, the 8 year old was in the alley again, and threw rocks at my friends van and doing over $600.00 in damage. We live in the state of Pennsylvania. Am I obligated to pay this woman? I feel that paying her says that my son is guilty of hitting her son...and he did not. What do I do about the damage done to my friends van?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

If I take the time to explain why junior may, or may not, be wholly or partially at fault, are you going to be the "defensive and protective mommy" and be upset with me, or will you listen to reason? Can you be dispassionate about this matter? Or do you think you might try to make excuses, or come back with "what if", or different facts?

If you can put the "mommy" side of you away for a little while, let me know and we'll discuss it.

IAAL

M

marla price

I am willing to listen. I want to know what my options are and if I am liable to pay medical expenses. However, I truly believe, that if my child were the one to throw the stone that hit the child, I would be responsible for the bill. Another question....If this claim is being paid by insurance, isn't this woman "making money." I can set the Mommy-self aside....I want plain and honest information.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I have read your latest post, and have considered very carefully your response. After reading your statement that you,

"truly believe, that if my child were the one to throw the stone that hit the child, I would be responsible for the bill",

I have concluded that it would not be in your best interests to conduct a dialog on the subjects you've presented on a Bulletin Board. I don't think I can get you past that "mind-set".

Due to the potentially serious Civil and potential Criminal nature of the situation, I can only recommend that you and your son seek direct, in-person, advice from a local attorney.

Thanks for writing.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 11-26-2000 at 12:23 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">