• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salvage Bid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

The-Rose

California - 94 Saturn SL totalled - insurance settlement includes deduction of $652 salvage bid - how do I confirm that bid is accurate rate a salvage company will pay?

P

ProResearch

The-Rose,

Likely the salvage bid has already come in? Ask the insurance company to give you the name of the salvage company or a copy of your property damage file. You can also call a number of salvage companies yourself (get the names from the yellow pages) and ask what they would pay for a 94 Saturn with the options that you have.

That's what I would do for... starters anyway!

Regards,

~Diane~

C

curtisd

while your at it ask them if they plan on repairing it for resell

T

The-Rose

Salvage Bid Update

Not able to get a Salvage Bid to compare with insurance co. estimate. Asked them how they came up with it & they said it was on the condition of the car. Well, the car looks great except the damaged right fender & wheel. So, last week asked insurance co. if I could inspect car at their "storage lot" before making a decision to either accept settlement where they keep car OR accept settlement minus $650 salvage bid estimate & I keep the car. The storage lot turned to be the "Auto Insurance Auctions" lot where there is a stream of cars in various degrees of disrepair. Some have no visible signs of damage. I took my brother who is a mechanic & he freaked out knowing that he could fix them up for a fraction of the cost the repair shops quote then he could sell them at a reasonable price & still make some money! (Inspected car on 5/6/02.)

Anyway, the decision was to keep the car ... the insurance co. was kind enough to issue a "tow-back" to my home ... they would not tow to my brother's house (where he will work on the car) for liability reasons. The car was towed back to my home on 5/7. Today, 5/8, made an appointment to pay for a towtruck (I thought it would be better requesting a flatbed) to tow car to my brother's tomorrow morning. He has been calling around to get 2 main parts & will go from there .... will post an update once car is repaired with a total cost.

C

curtisd

you,rose,have now discovered the Great American Insurance scam-you know what they had planned for your car?yep,they repair it with parts from those other vehicles for next to nothing then auction em for triple what they paid.and thats nothing compared to what the new car dealers do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">