• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To salvage or not to salvage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

babykins

Texas - The estimate done by my UM carrier's "people" indicates my vehicle is a total loss. I have an estimate by an independant body shop for about half of what they have the damage estimated at. Is there any way possible to keep them from totaling my vehicle and having my title re-issued as a salvage title? Or do I have to accept their appraisal?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by babykins:
Texas - The estimate done by my UM carrier's "people" indicates my vehicle is a total loss. I have an estimate by an independant body shop for about half of what they have the damage estimated at. Is there any way possible to keep them from totaling my vehicle and having my title re-issued as a salvage title? Or do I have to accept their appraisal?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Insurance companies really don't want to buy people's cars . . . so, when they pay you for the car, ask the adjuster for the "salvage value" and then buy the car back from the insurance company. Your car won't have moved an inch. Then take your money and your wrecked car to your mechanic.

The title will be reported as "salvaged."

Doing what you want to do is not recommended for safety reasons. No matter what your mechanic has told you, certain parts need to be replaced for safety reasons, and not merely repaired. But, if you want to take a chance with your life, that's your business.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">