• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salvage Title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Honey B

Car Insurance run around salvage title

I was in a single car accident due to a snowstorm,
my insurance company totaled out my car but refused to release the vehicle to me without a salvage title.
Is this proper procedures, and I follow complaint with the insurance commissioner in Pennsylvania where I live?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
my insurance company totaled out my car but refused to release the vehicle to me without a salvage title.
Is this proper procedures, and I follow complaint with the insurance commissioner in Pennsylvania where I live?
If the vehicle was "totaled", then it HAS to have a salvage title issued (if it's not simply junked.)

adjusterjack

Yes, it's proper procedure and complaining to the insurance commissioner won't do you a bit of good.

Besides, you're not doing yourself any favors by wanting the car back. By the time your claim is reduced by your deductible and the salvage value (10% to 15% of the ACV) you aren't likely to have anywhere near enough money to fix it.

ecmst12

Yeah and even if you fix it, it will cost you more money to get a restored title. And your car won't be worth anything after that. Let it go and get a replacement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">