• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

school bus accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Phil Roby

On 12/11/00,my wife was critically injured when a school bus in which she was a chaperone,in the employ of the Chesapeake,OH board of Education,wrecked on SR 243,near Chesapeake. Tha accident was entirely the fault of the bus driver far as we know-he drove off the road through inattention,and,by over-compensating,cutting the wheels too hard when he tried to return the bus to the road,caused it to turn completely over,coming to rest on its tires again. Only the driver was seat-belted in-there were no seat belts for anyone else on the bus.There were three students on the bus,one of whom was ejected from a window. My wife was the only person severely injured.

My wife's injuries,and resulting complications: bilateral rib fractures,badly bruised lungs,fractures of both clavicles & scapulae,internal bleeding,many minor bruises & abrasions.She developed double pneumonia(since cured)and was given at least five units of blood that I know of. She was on breathing assistance sixteen days. To shorten the story,she spent eighteen days in ICU,and is presently in a transitional care unit in the same hospital,recovering slowly. She is expected to spend most of January in the hospital,and not work any more this school year.It's unknown at this point how quickly she'll recover,or how much of her former activities she can resume,or when she can resume them. She is looking at months of pain,suffering,and limited activity.

We have a local attorney to take the case. My questions are:
1. What would be a ball-park estimate of compensation my wife should expect from the BOE? They have nationwide insurance;I don't know the amount of liability coverage they have.(The bus driver is pretty well insolvent.)Ohio Workers'Compensation is handling their part.

2. Can anyone give me a rough estimate of what compensation I should expect for loss of consortium, loss of companionship,and mental distress?(I didn't know,for over two weeks,if she would live or not.We've been happily married 26 years.She's not only my wife;she's also my best friend.)

3. I have two sons,ages 17 and 14. Should they receive any compensation? She's their biological and de-facto mother;she's raised them as their mother from day one.

4. My wife was the principal "go-fer" for her mother,73 years old,confined to a wheelchair,diabetic,history of heart disease. My wife transported her as she needed,did her housework for her,and gave her some personal care(cut her toenails,washed her hair,massaged her back,etc.)almost every day. My mom-in-law has really had to beg,borrow,and steal to meet the necessities of life since the accident since everyone else in the family works full-time.(Her husband is deceased.)Should my mother-in-law receive any compensation?

I'm not trying to catch up with Bill Gates,but this was a nigh-well senseless accident which has really put my whole family in distress,destroying our normal lifestyle through the Christmas-New Year holidays,and for months ahead,and it's only fair that we,especially my wife,be properly compensated for our suffering.Since you don't have the minutiae of the case here,I don't expect anything but ball-park figures. I just need some guidelines as I've never been in this situation before.

Thank you in Advance.
Phil

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">