• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scratched a Car in parking lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeedHelpPlease

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I scratched a car when I backed in a parking lot. The scratch was very small (roughly 2 inches X 2 inches in size). It will cost about $200 to repaint. However, the car I scratched was parked outside of the parking space (1/3 of the car was outside of the white line. I wouldn't have scratched it if it weren't parked improperly). The owner wasn't in the scene, so I left my phone number on the car. I also took a picture of the position of the car in relation to the white line to show how improperly the car was parked. Anyways, I was wondering if I should pursue this in court or would you say there is no case.

zippysgoddess

I will not guarantee that I am 100% correct, but I believe you have no case and are responsible for the damage. It is your responsibility to be in control of your car at all times, regardless of their bad park job, you scratched their car, you pay.

MandyD

You have nothing to pursue in court. You weren't damaged, they were.

How the other car was parked has no bearing on your responsibility. You are responsible for looking before you back up and you have a duty not to hit any other cars.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">