• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scratched, what's my recourse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cooljw

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I know this may seem minor compared to the other issues posted here, but it is bothering me and I would appreciate any feedback on the problem I’m facing now (for what it’s worth, last year my car was totaled when I was t-boned by a red light runner, so I’m intimately familiar with the issues you guys face)

My problem now: Someone hit and scratched the rear bumper on my 1 month old car while I was parked at work. The lowest estimate I have received to fix the damage is around $300. I searched the parking lot a few days later, and found the car that did it based on matching residual paint and scratches left on their front bumper. I left a nice note asking them to take responsibility for the scratches left on my car, and even took a sample of the paint that was left on their bumper, in the presence of a witness, just in case. I returned later that afternoon to take a photo of the culprit’s car, only to find that the person had found the note, taken the car somewhere and thoroughly cleaned off the offending bumper.

I take that as a clear admission of guilt and an indication that the person has no intent of taking responsibility for their actions, and am very disappointed. What should I do? I have a paint sample, but is it worth it to pay someone to see if it matches the paint scratched from my car, or even worth it to take this person to small claims court? I believe the person even works for a law firm in my office building. I know I’m going to run into them one of these days in the parking lot as they get out of or into their car. What’s the best way to confront them?

BelizeBreeze

Well, you could file a claim with your insurance company and have your witness file a statement or;

You could take a baseball bat to their car and extract $300 worth of satisfaction, or;

You could meet them in the stairway and beat $300 out of them or;

you could just park in front of them and back up rather hard.

C

cooljw

Thanks for the ideas. =)

I actually ended up reporting it to my insurance company, who has been very helpful going after the other person and their insurance company. We'll see what happens.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">