• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

This seems wrong...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TotalLossBS

What is the name of your state? TN

Does an insurance company have the right to revoke rental transportation after extending their offer to a total loss on an unfit-to-drive vehicle? This seems like manipulation into accepting their offer.

S

shell007

TotalLossBS said:

Does an insurance company have the right to revoke rental transportation after extending their offer to a total loss on an unfit-to-drive vehicle? This seems like manipulation into accepting their offer.
Have they already totaled your vehicle?

Not really enough information about this story to give a concrete answer!! :confused:

abaga

TotalLossBS said:

I was given 72 hours once I accepted payment for my auto after it was totalled by the insurance company. Read your policy.

S

shell007

abaga said:
I was given 72 hours once I accepted payment for my auto after it was totalled by the insurance company. Read your policy.
Maybe this is going through the other person's insurance policy and not the OP's!

In any event...I would assume there is a reasonable amount of time once they have offered settlement for a "totaled" vehicle. You can't keep the rental forever.

TotalLossBS

After being given the offer in writing I requested to see their evaluation of the value of my vehicle. After receiving that in writing I asked the adjuster if I could dispute their estimate of the actual cash value of my vehicle. I was told that if I provide invoices then they will consider adjusting the offer. I sent an 18 page fax of invoices and local comparables a few days later. The same day my rental expired. Now they say the offer stands (without addressing my argument) and no more rental (even for the time spent repairing).

This is through the at fault parties insurance.

Is there any description of what defines an "undriveable" vehicle? This insurance company demanded that I just "tie the doors shut"!

S

shell007

TotalLossBS said:
After being given the offer in writing I requested to see their evaluation of the value of my vehicle. After receiving that in writing I asked the adjuster if I could dispute their estimate of the actual cash value of my vehicle. I was told that if I provide invoices then they will consider adjusting the offer. I sent an 18 page fax of invoices and local comparables a few days later. The same day my rental expired. Now they say the offer stands (without addressing my argument) and no more rental (even for the time spent repairing).

This is through the at fault parties insurance.

Is there any description of what defines an "undriveable" vehicle? This insurance company demanded that I just "tie the doors shut"!
Why are you desputing a vehicle that has been deemed "unsafe"????

TotalLossBS

I am disputing the value. I cannot replace OR repair for what they offer. All I need is $500 more than their offer and I have provided proof that my vehicle is worthy of fixing.

Why is it that claims adjusters are all about the looks and don't even look under the hood!

The insurance company feels that the vehicle is safe (therefore no more need for rental) but the doors won't latch.

I was not at fault, why should I be so inconvienced?

S

shell007

In your first post you wrote about it being a "total Loss":
Does an insurance company have the right to revoke rental transportation after extending their offer to a total loss on an unfit-to-drive vehicle?
In your last post you wrote "vehicle is safe":
The insurance company feels that the vehicle is safe (therefore no more need for rental) but the doors won't latch.
I'm sorry, but you have me confused now!!
Has the vehicle been totaled or not?
If totaled: Have they offered settlement?
If not totalted: Have they offered to get it fixed?

Either way YOU have to make a decision?

TotalLossBS

Yes, it is deemed to be a total loss by the insurance company.
No, I do not believe it is safe to drive in it's current condition.
Yes, they think is it drivable (although the doors won't latch).
Yes, I want to repair.
Yes, they have extended their offer.

Although, their offer will not replace OR repair. I am negotiating that the vehicle is worth more than they estimate. Enough so to justify repair. I don't care if it's worth $500 more or $5000 more... The difference of their offer and the estimates is $500.

I investigated their comparable vehicle. It has 250k+ milage. Mine has 130k. It has 3+ owners. I bought from 1st owner. It has rust, mine does not.

In their estimate they called my engine and transmission "fair", but the adjuster never looked at it. I personally maintain it.

They are tying my hands behind my back by leaving me no transportation to push me into accepting their insufficient offer. In the meantime I have lost worktime due to transportation issues. I just want to get it fixed and they are bending me over about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">