• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

selecting an attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MTR

This is a Virginia case. Is it most necessary to obtain a lawyer closest to where the case will be tried? What about those lawyers that claim to be "accident lawyers" on tv, (e.g. Franklin, Chandler and O'Brian). I am having a hard time finding a lawyer where the case will be tried since I am not familiar with the city in which the accident happened and where the case will be tried. I know a few lawyers in my town and the neighboring city but I want to make sure I am making the best decisions for this case. Thank you in advance for your help!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MTR said:
This is a Virginia case. Is it most necessary to obtain a lawyer closest to where the case will be tried? What about those lawyers that claim to be "accident lawyers" on tv, (e.g. Franklin, Chandler and O'Brian). I am having a hard time finding a lawyer where the case will be tried since I am not familiar with the city in which the accident happened and where the case will be tried. I know a few lawyers in my town and the neighboring city but I want to make sure I am making the best decisions for this case. Thank you in advance for your help!
My response:

Lawyers who are licensed to practice law in your State are able to, and do, practice anywhere in the State. So, in response to your question, it is not necessary to a claim / lawsuit to obtain a lawyer "nearest to where the case will be tried."

Although, for purposes of travel to and from court hearings, it may be more convenient to obtain an attorney who practices, perhaps, no more than one county away. However, like I said, it really makes no difference to the case.

Laws are the same throughout your State. The only difference would be is if County "A" has different Court Rules than County "B" - - where the attorney you choose may normally practice law; e.g., I practice in Los Angeles, and am very familiar with the Court Rules in Los Angeles. But, on occassion, I have a case in San Francisco, some 450 miles north of my offices, and San Francisco has different Court Rules than the Los Angeles courts. But, that's not really a big deal. I just look up the Court Rules real quick, and I'm on my way.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">