• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separated, no communication with spouse, how to file taxes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ftp1234

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi,

My wife left apartment on June 1, 2008 and filed for divorce. There's been lot of animosity and we are nowhere near reaching a property settlement. There's total breakdown of communication between us.

After researching on the net, it looks like Married Filing Separately is my only option. But it seems to me that even this requires cooperation from the spouse. (e.g. both must itemize or both must take standard deductions). And my wife hasn't returned calls, emails etc. or even responded to letters from my divorce lawyer. And communicating to her through my divorce lawyer for tax purposes will cost me a fortune.

Can you advise me what should I do in such a situation?
Is there any other status I can file? (We don't have any kids)
We filed jointly in 2007 and received a federal as well as state tax refund. What portion of the state refund, interest, dividends do I show on my separate tax return?

Thanks,
ftpWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">