• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

settlement after a handicap

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hififilm

I was seriously injured in a car accident.
60% use of my elbow (metal rod 9 screws).
plates in head with possible loss of vision in the future
with no way to reverse it. The driver was drunk (b.a.c. 1.9%)going 99 mph. in my lane around a blind corner.
allstate ins. has offered full policy value, $50,000.
I do not want to settle without checking out the estate
ie. any life ins policy (the perpatrator was killed in the accident) how can i check the estate on my own?

thank's for any help,
frank in lock haven, pennsylvania

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Hire a Private Investigator to run an "asset" search. Dig deep, you might find other insurance policies and bank accounts with his name on them.

Make sure that when you settle with his insurance company, that you are ONLY releasing the insurance company, and not the Estate. If you release the Estate, it won't matter what assets you find.

If the insurance company will not pay the limits without an Estate release, then you'll have to sue the Estate - - presuming you've found more assets, that is. If you don't find any more assets, then you may as well settle.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">