• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlement Amount Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dapril_

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? NEVADA

My boyfriend was recently involved in an accident in my vehicle. I was not in the car when it happened; he cracked a few ribs and broke his thumb. Although we have not yet received a response from the appraiser as to the damages, we assume that the car must be totaled. The other driver was cited for stopping in the intersection, so there is no question of who was at fault. I was told that I would hear from the claims adjuster this week in regards to the amount they will be paying me for my car, and that his settlement could take several months.

My question is: If we do not agree with the amounts that they offer, how would we go about getting a higher amount without hiring an attorney to represent us? The adjuster told me that if I do not agree with the amount offered for my car that I should file a claim with my insurance company and see who will be paying more. We were not at fault.....is this a typical procedure?

I would appreciate any advice that you could give me....Thanks!

blau

I am in the same boat with you.

My mother was involved in an accident. He car was not total. But it was a brand new honda with 600 miles on it when whe was hit from behind.

I handled the case for her. In her case they pay the limit of the policy on the car (it was a good offer). We argue deminish return. In your case if your car is total (more than about 50% of the value to fix it).

In your case I think you have a lot of leverage at this point. Because the property damage and the amount of the injury is seperate claims (at lease in california). Your boyfriend is injury a lot. They don't want to low ball you on the car claim because that may set you off to go to a lawyer right away. The would want to show you how reasonable they are with your car (letting you think they will be reasonable with you with the injury). The injury broken bones will cost them a lot more.

Does your state have a department that regulate insure matters. If so find out about them. In california the law said when liability is apparent they have to made a honest offer for your claim. What I would do is find out about your right in Navada and demand they make you a honest offer an settle for nothing less than what you think is right on the car. My guess is that they will give it to you. The last thing they want is to piss you off and you go to a lawyer to get everything you deserved on your medical, lost wages, pain and suffering.

There are some web sites out there that is help ful.

My final suggestion is to not get a lawyer for the auto. Get them to settle on the auto before you full recovery from the injury. And get a lawyer for the injury. They will attemp to low ball you on the injury. That is what is happening to my mother's case.

One more thing. Do not allow their doctor to examine you or your injury. The have no right to do so. The will have no right to do so untill you file a case. Just say I want to concentrate on recovering and I am following the advice of my doctors talk to them if you some more information. Their doctor will say you don't have a problem.

hope this helps. The insurance company are scums.

blau

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">