• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is settlement compensation adequate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jbird1108

i was in an auto accident the middle of sept. 2000 in indiana. i was not at fault. i did not secure a lawyer, since the other "at fault" party's insurance seemed to take over, however, i went through my own insurance company & they said they would go after the "at fault" party's ins. for reimbursement. i sustained whiplash for which i was just recently released by my chiropractor the end of jan. 01. my car has been fixed & it appears all is well. the "at fault" party's ins. company contacted me last week & wanted to make a settlement.........after having paid all of my medical bills, rental car for 6 wks, & repair to my car + my deductible, they offered me $3400 for my pain/suffering/inconvenience. i want to know if you feel this is adequate or should i be expecting a larger settlement? I lost no work time, even though i didn't feel well those next few days (but i work for a co. that has an absentee program that is quite strict, even if you were on sick leave). i looked terrible for at least two weeks with a "boulbus nose" from the airbag impact. tip of nose sustained redness for 2-1/2 mos. but has now completely cleared up. inconvenience & time sustained for going to a chiropractor 3 times per week for 2-1/2 mos. then down to twice weekly, & then down to 1 time per week the last mo. i bought my car brand new in 1998, now car has been in a wreck & i fear i will never get full worth out of it when i go to re-sell + there is a "creeking noise" upon excelling now that was never there before. i might add that i take excellent care of my vehicle & inside & out still looked brand new. had to rely on someone to take me home the night of the accident (lost 2-1/2 hrs) + had to have someone take me to work the next day after the accident until i could secure a rental car. the $3400 was the ins. company's first settlement offer. should i be asking for more? i don't want to appear greedy, but i want to be fairly compensated & i have no idea if $3400 is fair.

[Edited by jbird1108 on 02-25-2001 at 04:30 PM]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You can bet your bottom dollar (pun intended), that if an insurance company is offering, it's a LOWBALL offer.

You should see an attorney to negotiate your settlement. Sure, you'll be paying the attorney, but you'll be netting more money than if you did this yourself.

You're not being greedy. It's the insurance company that wants to laugh all the way to the bank by not paying you a fair settlement.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">