• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlement Demand Letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DWNNJ

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Hi all, accident settlement time is here and my lawyer has asked for my authority to settle my case for $175K. He's prepared to send a settlement demand letter and states he will demand "well in excess" of that since he's working on a contigent basis (of course the higher the recovery, the more he gets paid). My questions are: (1) I should get a copy of this initial demand letter correct? (2) is there a normal percentage that lawyers usually ask over the bottomline of what they think a case is worth? and (3) should I be expecting him to inform me of every counter offer made by the insurance adjustor?

I have a pretty reputable firm representing me but I just want to be sure I am getting all that I'm really entitled to. Thanks in advance!

houstonrockets

you can ask for the settlement letter and informs of settlement offers. but to let you know the insurance company cannot speak with u directly only ur lawyer so i would get everything in writing also its usually 30-40% of your settle minus costs.

DWNNJ said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Hi all, accident settlement time is here and my lawyer has asked for my authority to settle my case for $175K. He's prepared to send a settlement demand letter and states he will demand "well in excess" of that since he's working on a contigent basis (of course the higher the recovery, the more he gets paid). My questions are: (1) I should get a copy of this initial demand letter correct? (2) is there a normal percentage that lawyers usually ask over the bottomline of what they think a case is worth? and (3) should I be expecting him to inform me of every counter offer made by the insurance adjustor?

I have a pretty reputable firm representing me but I just want to be sure I am getting all that I'm really entitled to. Thanks in advance!

DWNNJ

Thanks Houston

But I was referring to what percentage over the value of a case (in my case $175K) lawyers usually ask above what they estimate the case is worth. For instance, since my lawyer tells me he estimates my case to be worth $175K, will he ask for XX% over that as a negotiating chip? I already know he will get a third of whatever I get. Was just wondering if I will be/should be in the loop on offers and/or counter offers made by the insurance company and should I be involved in whatever his initial demand will be. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">