• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlement involving a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cjk07

Minnesota- my daughter (9years old) was in an atv accident over the summer. I am starting the process of settling with insurance company. From what I understand, we have to have a court appointed person since she is a minor. My question is, will I have a say in things? Like how her money is put away a CD vs an annuity? Also will in as a parent have access to funds for her, to pay things like school tuition, and other expenses? I believe I would have to ask the court for a yearly stipend? Example $2,000 for school tuition and after school activities? Thanks for your input.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I would strongly suggest at least consulting with a local attorney to get an idea what you may need. If a court will be involved it would probably be best for an attorney to also be involved.

You may be able to get a free consultation or at least the few hundred dollars you may have to pay would be worth it for detailed information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">