• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlement and "this isan attempt to collect.."

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alex02

What is the name of your state? CA

I have worked out a settlement with a collections company and just have one question:

On the Settlement letter/paper it saids at the bottom This is an attempt to ollect a debt, any information will be used for that purpose.

I have gotten these lines on every payment paper but im wondering if this should be on the settlement paper. I know the settlement is an attempt to collect on the debt but would they be playing games with me saying that the settlement would be taken as full payment on the debt? I would think no but if im wrong definately worth asking.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Alex02 said:
What is the name of your state? CA

I have worked out a settlement with a collections company and just have one question:

On the Settlement letter/paper it saids at the bottom This is an attempt to ollect a debt, any information will be used for that purpose.

I have gotten these lines on every payment paper but im wondering if this should be on the settlement paper. I know the settlement is an attempt to collect on the debt but would they be playing games with me saying that the settlement would be taken as full payment on the debt? I would think no but if im wrong definately worth asking.

My response:

Under California and Federal law, any communication; e.g., written communication, must contain that phrase. Don't worry about it, it's only done in compliance with State and Federal law.

Federal law requires debt collectors to disclose in their initial communications with consumer debtors that an attempt is being made to collect a debt and that any information obtained will be used for that purpose. Subsequent communications must also disclose that the communication is from a debt collector. [15 USCA § 1692e(11)

Debt collectors must disclose in every subsequent communication that "the communication is from a debt collector." [15 USCA § 1692e(11)]

IAAL

Last edited:

Alex02

Cool, thanks!

I worked out a settlement of $5,000 on a $15,789 debt from a uninsured car accident and this site actually helped me a lot! Thanks IAAL and to everybody else that helped me, heck even though my problem is over i will stick around and share my experiences and keep learning..:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">