• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlement offer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Livid

I was injured by a (repeat offender)drunk driving hit and run accident, the woman was caught and arrested and she did have insurance, my car was totaled and I have had 4 months of therapy, I can no longer work my second job due to the injuries in my neck and back which was catering. My attorneys office contacted me and said that the insurance company made me an offer and I should come in and discuss it,but when I arrived they had a check with my name clearly on it from the insurance company like I had agreed to the settlement, I would have never agreed to such a measley amount and I was furious with my attorney. I need to know if this is common practice for them to receive a check? Im certain there should have been some negotiations with my knowledge about the settlement. What are my rights?

TCB4U2B2B

The Dollar Amount Is Subjective.

Hello Livid

Offering a settlement can be done almost anyway. It doesn't matter much. You do not have to settle. Even knowing all the facts, there isn't any way, in this forum, to advise you what's acceptable and to directly answer your question.

Pertaining to your rights:

You have several.

Refuse the amount.

Have your attorney fight for more!

Know what the state laws allow.

What other cases where settled for with similar injuries.

FIRE your attorney and HIRE another one.

ETC. ETC. ETC.

Question Answered.
Case Closed.
Courts Adjourned.
Regards and Get Well.
TCB4U2B2B
At Your Service.
Providing No Real Legal Advice. Administering "Huge Doses of Reality" on Demand or as Required...:D
Personal Quote: "When In Doubt, Consider All Your Options and Allow Common Sense To Prevail."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">