• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlement Offered Immediately

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fett76

My wife and her brother were rear-ended while sitting at a red light at an intersection. The other driver was cited. We are handling the claim through the other party's insurance company which is handling medical costs (which are minor) and the cost of car repairs/rental car. Two days after the claim was filed, the adjuster offered my brother-in-law (who had no injuries) a $100 settlement provided he agreed never to sue. My wife (who owns the car, was driving, and was sore but thinks she is ok and is seeking a chiropractic evaluation) was offered $500. how should I evaluate these offers in terms of pain and suffering and, more importantly, the waiver of a right to sue? We aren't looking to take advantage of the insurance company and will not sue unless things take a drastic turn for the worse, but $500 seems too low to waive out right to sue. How do I determine what is reasonable and realistic and how does my wife approach the insurance company? Any input would be appreciated. (Arizona)

R

reddenbakker

Its just a game they play, wave money in front of people, and most are so broke they will take it.

Then realize they got screwed down the road when the real scope of the injuries appear and they have no money since they blew it all when they got the check....I like getting FREE money!!!!

So dont take it.....they might offer you more, if you can prove the injuries are worth more then $500.

they offer You money BEFORE you go to a chiropracter, in hopes to settle, becuase YOU will have to pay the chiro before you get a lawyer or they might offer a bigger settlement because most people have no money to Lay out for 10 or 20 sessions.

see its a game. And the insurance company has more money then you, so they can wait, and wait, and wait untill you are desperate to settle.

Last edited:
G

goliath1

Also remember that residual effects from an accident can take up to a year to show up. If you waive your right to sue then when and if those effects show up you are stuck with the bills and that is what the insurance company is banking on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">