• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlement question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hippiemomma60

What is the name of your state? Maryland
I was involved in a 3 car accident. A van rear-ended another van that was pushed into the back of my car. The insurance co. of the person responsible has said they'll pay for repairs to my car. They also offered me a one time settlement that covers "pain and suffering" and any further medical bills.
I honestly don't know if anything will continue to bother me. So far I've been lucky and have had few problems. How do insurance companies figure out what a settlement should be and should I take their check pray nothing comes up that may be directly related to being hit? Right now, I honestly don't feel bad, my wrist is the only thing still bothering me and it's nothing I can't handle. I've never been in this position before and have no idea what to do or what I'm entitled to.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

teflon_jones

Have you been to a doctor? I certainly can't assess your medical condition here from my computer, never mind tell you if you'll have any long term affects.

S

shell007

hippiemomma60

They also offered me a one time settlement that covers "pain and suffering" and any further medical bills.
Obvious that they have claimed liability with their "offer of cash", however there could be many laten injuries or complications in the future with your current injuries.

Although the settlement that they offered might be appealing right now, don't be to quick to settle up because once you do.......DONE DEAL! You must consider all possible future complications like therapy, arthritis, etc.

Get checked out by a doc. and look for an attorney that will take this case on a contingent basis. I don't know how long ago the accident occurred, but don't wait. There is no magic calculator to compute damages, but be sure by visiting a doc that you have reached MMI (maximum medical improvement) before settling.

teflon_jones

shellandty said:
Obvious that they have claimed liability with their "offer of cash", however there could be many laten injuries or complications in the future with your current injuries.

Although the settlement that they offered might be appealing right now, don't be to quick to settle up because once you do.......DONE DEAL! You must consider all possible future complications like therapy, arthritis, etc.

Get checked out by a doc. and look for an attorney that will take this case on a contingent basis. I don't know how long ago the accident occurred, but don't wait. There is no magic calculator to compute damages, but be sure by visiting a doc that you have reached MMI (maximum medical improvement) before settling.
Why would the OP get an attorney before knowing what a doctor has to say? Based on the original post, it sounds like there are little to no real injuries involved.

S

shell007

Teflon_Jones:

The op wrote:

I honestly don't know if anything will continue to bother me. So far I've been lucky and have had few problems.
my wrist is the only thing still bothering me and it's nothing I can't handle
An injury is an injury....... little or not, and all injuries are real!!
Sounds like an injury to me.

Why would the OP get an attorney before knowing what a doctor has to say?
That's why I said "get checked out by a doc."

Q:
Why would the OP get an attorney
A: An attorney in her area would be better able to tell her what is a reasonable settlement that she should accept. Why should she try and figure this out for herself if she can get an attorney to take the case on a contingent basis? What's the harm?

Now come on.....this happens everyday. The insuance company knows that they are liable, wants the victom to "settle" asap as to release them from any possible more costly liability in the future. Most people see the money, it looks inviting, and they take it.

No one ever likes to say to themselves, "should have..... would have......could have....!

Always cross your T's and dot your I's. Then their are no regrets!

hippiemomma60

Thanks everyone for your input. Yes, I was injured and that seems to be settling. After dealing with "their" insurance company today and finding that they will not repair my car to my satisfaction, I will be turning this entire matter over to an attorney. What was offered for "pain and suffering" is nowhere near enough after what I had to go through today. One would think I was at fault in this accident the way this was handled. All I wanted was to have the damage to my car fixed and they think putting a band-aid on it is good enough. I may be a woman, but I'm not stupid (Thank God :)) They pissed off the wrong person.
Thanks again, you both did help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">