• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shipment Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mike Dobbs

I had a boat shipped to my home in California from Canada. There was damage during transit. I had insured the boat for $4000 USD (it's a 20 year old catamaran and this is about what a similar used one costs today). I claimed for repairable damage to one hull in the amount of $723 and for the replacment of the mast (damaged beyond repair) in the amount of $3340.25 (cost of a NEW mast). On the claim form I entered $18340.25 as the replacement cost, thinking they wanted the actual cost of a new boat complete. It turns out I should have put in a replacement cost of a simialr vintage used boat, because they are only covering 22% of my $4063.74 claim (78% left as "co-insurance").

Do I have any remedy in this situation?

Mike.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">