• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should i accept?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rbrdly3

Nevada: I was injured in an accident back in September. My medical was just over 11 thousand and my future medical is 26 thousand for rotator cuff surgery. The policy is only 30,60. Their were 4 people injured and the insurance company offered me 17,500. My attorney told me i should accept this and he would negotiate with the medical bills. I was told no matter what that the max for each party is 30 thousand. Is this not true? Should i accept? I had to go to the hospital in an ambulance and it doesn't sound like I'm going to get anything once this is done! What can I do?? Please help! I feel like my attorney is steering me wrong.

JETX

rbrdly3 said:
The policy is only 30,60.
The required minimum insurance coverage in Nevada is: 15/30/10
The first two numbers (15/30 in this example) refer to the amount of personal injury coverage per accident as $15,000 per person injured and $30,000 maximum per accident. The final figure refers to the total amount paid for property damage which in this example is $10,000. Presuming that your '30,60' figure is just the personal injury portion, then the per person is $30k, with a $60k total maximum coverage.

Their were 4 people injured and the insurance company offered me 17,500. My attorney told me i should accept this and he would negotiate with the medical bills.
That sounds reasonable.... as long as he can negotiate to the point of paying the bills PLUS his contingent fee, for no out of pocket.

I was told no matter what that the max for each party is 30 thousand. Is this not true?
No. See above.

Should i accept?
And of course, no one can answer that for you as it depends on your own personal needs.... and what you feel is fair.

I had to go to the hospital in an ambulance and it doesn't sound like I'm going to get anything once this is done!
Insurance is NOT intended to be a 'win the lottery' deal. You are not supposed to 'get' anything... other than coverage for your reasonable expenses, pain and 'suffering'.

I feel like my attorney is steering me wrong.
Than reject their offer and 'toss the dice' in court.

rbrdly3

How to recover

Nevada: If i accept their offer can i file a civil suit against the person driving for the future surgery? I am not receiving anything for the pain and suffering. When i went to the hospital i had stitches put in my are to repair a torn ligament. No one else had near the injuries i had. I'm not trying to get rich but the driver was convicted of dui in this case and i was and will continue to be in pain from the torn rotator cuff.

jcook7066

you will probably not be able to sue because when you settle, the insurance company will make you sign a release, freeing their insured from any other liability to you. Its probaby worth mentioning that you could file PIP, medpay or UM/UIM with your insurance comapny or try to get your health insurance to cover the surgery

JETX

girlincrosswalk said:
But I'm no expert...
As is obvious from your post. The old 'multipliers' are NOT valid anymore as the insurance company's have gotten FAR more aggressive in their negotiations. One of the 'benefits' of 'bottom line bean-counters' running the corporate world.... and without any 'heart'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">