• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I get an Attorney?........my guess is yes but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

Zero

I'll try and make it short and sweet.

I was in an auto accident and was rear-ended. I did sustain some back and neck injuries. I have not taken any days off of work but my work has been very limited. It's kind of embarassing because I have to ask people to help me when it comes to moving heavy objects( I'm a network administrator for about 5 different offices in the bay area and I'm constanlty having to move computers, printers, peripherals around) I've been seein a chiropractor and indeed he has found "trauma" and a loss of function( I could have told him that.) Anyway, the other insurance company (of the guy who hit me) wants to meet with me on Sunday to discuss my out of pocket expenses and to cut me checks for my damages. My understanding is that he is going to cut me a check for my damaged vehicle($4000 worth), my rental car, possibly some medical expenses. My doctor gave me a plan which estimates the number of "visits" and how much this will all cost. The adjuster asked me to bring this as well. I'm trying to figure out if he is going to ask me about pain and suffering damages. I doubt it. I get the feeling he is going to try and write me a check for the damages and he is expecting me that this will cover everything. I guess the question is....should I get an attorney? If so, where do I go from here and how should I look for one in time for this Sunday meeting with the adjuster? From all the reading I've done in this forum, it looks like the majority of people involved in these disputes are rewarded about 3x the cost of the medical expenses. I'm guessing that I won't be able to meet with this adjuster on my own and walk away with 3x my medical expenses. Or can I? Thanks for your help!

Zero

B

barbarabandyszewski

You have just about described exactly what happened to me! Yes get a lawyer. Make sure you check him out (that is a whole other twist to my case). DO NOT settle untill you are done with your therapy. I CANNOT STRESS THIS POINT ENOUGHT (that's why the typing in caps). Right now I'm in the process of dealing with all this by myself (I fired my lawyer). The insurance company told me (State Farm) that there is no 3x the medical rule, it's kinda like they take your info and plug it into their data base of neck/back/rearend injuries and see were you come out. I do know that property (your car) can be settled before the physical (your body). Check to see if you have medical on your car insurance, you can collect from that and from the other company (that is above and beyond the settlement). And lastly, monetarily, if you can hold out for the physical portion of the settlement do. My accident was in March and I'm now having problems again. I don't care how minute you think the pain or problem is report it to the doctor. I cannot stress how important it is to make sure EVERYTHING is documented.

Hope this helps ..... if you have any more questioms I'll do what I can to answer them (from a victums point of view).

Good Luck!
Barbara

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">