• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I be getting more money and can I switch lawyers mid case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michew82

What is the name of your state? MA

Last summer my boyfriend and I were in a 3 car accident. The car behind us slammed into us on the highway, then they got hit by the car behind them which caused the middle car to slam into our car a second time. We were both wearing our seatbelts. The insurance companies have since declared that the accident was 0% my boyfriends fault. The next day when we both hurt immensly, we went to the emergency room where they suggested physical therapy. We called a laywer. My boyfriend went to physical therapy for 4 months and I went for 5 months.

My boyfriend's back and neck were hurt, and even today (a year later) he can not stand for more than 20 minutes without his back aching. My back and neck were also hurt along with my knee which had a severe sprain and after an MRI they found there was a slight tear in one of the ligaments. My knee still hurts on and off along with my neck and back and I get headaches now since the accident.

Both my boyfriend and I do not believe in "milking" our aches and pains to get more money in the settlement. We both work full time jobs and can not run to the doctor over every pain. When we were dismissed from therapy we were told by our therapist to take IB Profien when we hurt which we do and we stopped going to the doctor even though we still hurt. My boyfriend just got his final settlement offer from the insurance company which was $4,500 ($2,700 for him after lawyers fees and other legal fees) and I got my first offer of $4,000 which the lawyer wants to keep fighting. He suggested my boyfriend not go to court and take his settlement and that I should probably take my second offer.

I don't know much about these types of accidents, but these offers seems disgustingly low for the amount of pain we continue to be in every day. Other people I have talked to have walked away from a car accident settlement with $10,000 after lawyers fees, and this is when the accident was their fault, and they weren't even hurt! I do not think that our lawyer is fighting our case for us properly. My questions are: 1) I know these types of situations are different for everyone, but does it seem like these are fair offers? 2) Should we go to court with our current lawyer against the insurance comapy? 3) Is it too late to switch lawyers? Would it be worth it at this point and does it make sense to?

Thanks for your help!

stephenk

"Other people I have talked to have walked away from a car accident settlement with $10,000 after lawyers fees, and this is when the accident was their fault, and they weren't even hurt!"

They are lying to you.

If you believe your case is worth more, consult with another attorney. most offer free consultations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">