• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I seek legal advise or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DStrange

What is the name of your state? Oregon - I was stopped at a red light and was rear ended. My car was only slightly damaged I took the vehicle in for an estimate at the persons insurance company. They appraised the damage and stated that there was $575.00 worth of damage. I am fine with that I don't even believe there is that much. However I went to the emergency room after the accident for my neck and back. The doctor stated that I suffered a "lumbar strain" in the accident. It has been a week and my back still hurts so I am going back to the doctor. My QUESTION is should I contact an attorney to make sure that my medical bills and the "settlement" for pain, suffering, and loss time at work is fair. I am not sure I know what fair is. The claims adjuster called 3 days after the accident and stated that they would be sending me a check for my vehicle and would be contacting me in a week or two to see how I was doing. - Not sure what to do?:confused:

lwpat

It doesn't sound like your injuries are severe. I would keep a log and all of the paperwork from the doctors. Most insurance adjusters, except State Farm, are fair. If you have to be out of work then be sure you have a doctor's statement.

If you are not satisfied with their offer you will have time to retain an attorney. In my opinion a good rule of thumb is three times your medical expenses. You did the right thing by going to the emergency room immediately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">