• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I sign a medical release?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dad's Hurtin

i live in Arkansas and was in an accident 4-13-01 i was hit by a lady that fail to yield the right of way. she recieved a citation for this from the officer who took the report.
my question is her insurance company wants me to sign a medical release so they can determine the amount of the settlement they are going to offer me for the injuries i recieved.is this necessary? also how long do i have before the time is up for filing a suit against them?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Please read that Release carefully. Make sure it doesn't release your psychological history, your driving history, and your employment history - - in other words, make sure you're only signing a release that could be used ONLY for your current treating physicians. If it asks to release this other information, call the adjuster and tell him / her "No way".

It more than likely has no expiration date on it. Therefore, write in a date that is 6 months into the future and say, "This Release Expires on _____________. After this date, this Release is hereby revoked."

Then, use a yellow Marker to highlight that sentence and date.

You have 3 years for both your injuries, and your property damages, to file a lawsuit against the person who caused the accident.

Please consider getting an attorney. You don't have the knowledge or experience to fight against an insurance adjuster or an attorney. They know the laws. You don't.

It would be the same thing as "taking candy from a baby." They do it all day long, and laugh all the way to the bank with their commissions from screwing people.

Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">