• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

signed over title but he wont return tags

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carol112455

What is the name of your state? Missouri. My soon to be ex-husband ,took a vehicle that was in my name only. I signed the title over to him and canceled ins. but he wont return the license plates (also in my name) I'm sure he will keep my tags on the vehicle and not do anything with the title. He has no drivers license. What am I liable for?

racer72

If he transfers the title into his name, don't the license plates transfer too? That the way it works in my state.

apie1

I would talk to a local lawyer in your area and see what you could possibly do. My guess is that it seems the car is still in your name and if your ex does not plan on doing anything with the title or get new plate or even insurance at the fact, you may be liable if something were to happen. It also sounds like your ex could give a care in the world considering he doesnt even have a license so if I were you I would go see a lawyer. I do not want to say most but some lawyers acutally give you a free consultation. Wait for other members to add posts to your situation.

justalayman

Call your DMV or BMV or whatever it is called and tell them you want to cancel the reg. (This is of course you are NOT in a state that transfers the reg with title change.)

Do you have any sort of reciept for the transfer (i.e. any money change hands) or was it just a "i'll sign off the title, now take the car and go" kind of thing?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">