• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slip and Fall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CGearhart

This last Monday afternoon I was involved in a slip and fall accident in Michigan on my landlord's property. There had been snow/ice on the ground for day, and he had been notified numerous times about the condition of the property. When I fell I sprained my ankle and hurt my back. I had to go to the emergency room and am now on crutches. My landlord claims that it is not his responsibility, or fault because it was currently snowing when I fell. There has been one other person that has fallen and they damaged their car in the fall. Since I reported the accident to him he has yet to do anything about the unsafe conditions. Should I contact a lawyer? Do I have a case, or is he right about it not being his fault since it was snowing?

C

CGearhart

There had been snow on the ground for 8 days, not one single day. Sorry I didn't make that clearer.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

My opinion is that you have an extremely weak case, if any at all.

We are all responsible for what we walk on and are imbued to have knowledge of the conditions if such conditions are "open and obvious", especially when the condition is caused by nature. All because we may slip, trip and fall, doesn't necessarily mean that someone else is negligent and therefore, responsible. I see nothing in your post that would make someone else responsible for your own injuries.

I believe it would be a complete waste of your time.

Thanks for writing.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 12-14-2000 at 02:29 PM]

LegalBeagle

CGearhart said:
Do I have a case, or is he right about it not being his fault since it was snowing?
I would be very surprised if it was his fault that it was snowing.. If so, I want him to clean my car since I am currently in MI and my nice clean car currently looks like crap.. If you give me his name and address I will send him a bill for the cleaning when I get back to sunny Florida.

On a serious note, the strength of a case can come down to whether you know or can see a danger. If you can see the brick wall and crash into it anyway, then you can not sue the roads agency or the people who made the bricks. The true can be said for many accidents in snow. You can see the snow, you KNOW it is dangerous and you KNOW of ways to prevent accidents. If you should slip and fall on the snow/ice then surely God is more liable than someone who did not clear up his mess ?

C

Carefull Driver

I remember hearing somewhere that if you don't shovel your walk and someone slips, then you cannot be sued because it is an act of God. If you do shovel your walk and someone slips on ice you accidentally left behind, then you can be sued.

No good deed goes unpunished.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Carefull Driver said:
I remember hearing somewhere that if you don't shovel your walk and someone slips, then you cannot be sued because it is an act of God. If you do shovel your walk and someone slips on ice you accidentally left behind, then you can be sued.

No good deed goes unpunished.

My response:

Wrong, Carefull Driver.

Also, it's spelled "Careful".

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">